- at for a PRECISE TIME
- in for MONTHS, YEARS, CENTURIES and LONG PERIODS
- on for DAYS and DATES
|PRECISE TIME||MONTHS, YEARS, CENTURIES and LONG PERIODS||DAYS and DATES|
|at 3 o'clock||in May||on Sunday|
|at 10.30am||in summer||on Tuesdays|
|at noon||in the summer||on 6 March|
|at dinnertime||in 1990||on 25 Dec. 2010|
|at bedtime||in the 1990s||on Christmas Day|
|at sunrise||in the next century||on Independence Day|
|at sunset||in the Ice Age||on my birthday|
|at the moment||in the past/future||on New Year's Eve|
- I have a meeting at 9am.
- The shop closes at midnight.
- Jane went home at lunchtime.
- In England, it often snows in December.
- Do you think we will go to Jupiter in the future?
- There should be a lot of progress in the next century.
- Do you work on Mondays?
- Her birthday is on 20 November.
- Where will you be on New Year's Day?
|at night||The stars shine at night.|
|at the weekend||I don't usually work at the weekend.|
|at Christmas/Easter||I stay with my family at Christmas.|
|at the same time||We finished the test at the same time.|
|at present||He's not home at present. Try later.|
|in the morning||on Tuesday morning|
|in the mornings||on Saturday mornings|
|in the afternoon(s)||on Sunday afternoons|
|in the evening(s)||on Monday evening|
- I went to London last June. (not in last June)
- He's coming back next Tuesday. (not on next Tuesday)
- I go home every Easter. (not at every Easter)
- We'll call you this evening. (not in this evening)